The need for quality drinking water is world wide. One of the places of need is in a slum area of 650,000 people in Karachi known as “mosquito colony.”
Five years ago water filters were made available for 100 families. Stories began to being told of how their children where sick so much less often. To respond to this overwhelming need, an aggressive water filter project was launched this year. Some of the key components of the project include:
- The hiring of a local director
- The enlistment of key local leaders in the colony as well as broad community support
- The initial purchase of over 450 filters
- Water and personal hygiene classes taught to all that received the one of the initial filters
- Development of water filter manufacture in the city
Goals to distribute over 100 filters per month over the next two years.